Next, you need to find out if there are any restrictions in place.

Import restrictions may be in place for controlled and regulated goods.

These goods may be imported but require additional documentation such as:

  • Licenses
  • Permits
  • Certificates

Restricted Goods

Certificates and licenses are often required for regulated and controlled goods to make sure they meet health and safety standards, these include:

AgriculturePlantsAnimalsRelated Products

Export permits are often required for controlled goods, these include:

Military and StrategicGoods and Technology (Including Crytographic Items)Softwood LumberFirearmsSugar and Sugar Coating ProductsPeanut ButterLogsUnited States Origin Goods and Technologies

Please see the Canada Business Network for additional information on permits, licenses and regulations

Do I Need to Know About the Restrictions on the Goods to the County I'm Exporting to?

Yes. You need to determine if they country you’re exporting to has any restrictions in place.

To learn more about restrictions for goods in Canada and abroad, please contact the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service.